Saturday, March 7, 2015

Milk paint trial

I have known about milk paint for a long time, but I never thought to try it because I guess I thought it would be tricky to mix and use, but boy was I wrong.  It was so easy!

In my plans for redoing our sitting room I really wanted to paint this tall jelly cabinet that we bought unfinished many years ago.  I had always wanted to paint it, but just never got around to it.

So here is what it looked like before:



I decided on Miss Mustard Seed's Tricycle for the color.  It is a nice bold red and since I have a lot of red accents in my house it seemed the best choice (even though there were so many pretty colors to choose from).

This is what it looked like when I mixed it up - 1:1 paint powder to water.  I didn't have a good wire whisk to use to mix (like they recommend) but I put it in a mason jar and shook it really well, and then let it sit ten minutes.

It seemed really bright when I first mixed it, but went on darker.

It went on pretty smooth although there were a few bubbles (probably from my shaking) and it only took one coat to get the look I wanted.  I wanted the wood grain to show through.  If I had done a second coat it probably would have been more opaque.


It only took about 30 minutes to dry and start looking "chippy."  So, I scraped the chippy spots lightly with a plastic scraper.  


Once I had all the chippy spots off I used Miss Mustard Seed's antiquing wax to darker the whole thing up.  I really feel like this gave the cabinet that aged look that I was going for.  It went from looking new to looking like it really could have been in an old farmhouse.





So here is what the cabinet looked like after:



It was a simple, easy transformation and it only took me about an hour total.  Now, that's my kind of project!

Here's a side by side before and after:



After this project I was looking around thinking "what else can I paint with milk paint?!"  It was really easy and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...