Thursday, June 30, 2016

Porch Project Update

As you may remember from this post, last year we had to tear the stone off our porch skirting due to the winter ice cracking the foundation.  So, we were left with trying to decided what do replace it with.

I wanted something with a traditional farmhouse feeling, but not lattice.  We looked around our neighboring towns at houses built around the same time as ours (1880-ish) and decided on simple thin strips of wood with a wide trim around them.

We kind of worked it out as we went.

Here's what it looked like in progress:

After looking things over we realized we needed to replace the wood that wrapped around each post on the top part of the porch.  The original builders used Hardy Board which I guess is great in most applications but not meant to be placed close to horizontal surfaces that can get wet, and our porch does get pretty wet sometimes due to the direction of the weather.  So, the posts were completely rotted at the bottom. 

After about 4 days of just Ken and I working part time (I got to be the official cut girl and work the circular saw) we got everything rebuilt and the railings back on.

Then we were told it's best to let pressure treated wood sit for about a year before you paint it.  So, it sat like this since October.

This is where we were at a few weeks ago.  I have started caulking and filling all the nail and screw holes and I got a coat of primer and paint on the side porch (below).  Now I need to get going on the front porch and then decide how we want to paint the skirting slats.  The skirting paint might have to wait until fall when I can trim the plants back to reach it.

Things are slowly moving forward around here, but at least they are moving again.  We are also working on our back patio area and new pool area as well as waiting to have our new driveway installed.  Lots going on around here and enjoying summer too!  Thanks for following along.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...