Monday, March 18, 2013

Removing Hard Water Deposits from Hair...

I have crazy, frizzy, unruly hair.  I used to think it was just my hair after having kids and that is just the way it would be.  Well, one day I found a free water test kit at Lori's Natural Foods so I took it home and took a water sample from our kitchen sink and sent it in to the address on the prepaid postage envelope.  A few weeks later, I got a phone call from the county water authority "water testers" saying I have extremely hard water at my home.  Lime, calcium, rust, etc etc which cause build up on faucets and fixtures and in appliances.  Yuck, right!?  I was reading that these mineral deposits can build up on hair follicles as well causing hair to be dull and unruly.  Well, I usually use vinegar to clean the deposits off of my shower head and faucets so I thought maybe I could use it on my hair as well.  Sure enough, I looked online and found a recipe for a water/vinegar mixture that can be put onto hair and then rinsed and it will supposedly remove the deposits.  I decided to experiment with my own recipe so this is what  I used:

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup distilled* water
1 squirt of blue Dawn dishsoap (I thought -  hey, they use it on baby ducks after an oil spill, it can't hurt my head, right?) Put it all in a squirt bottle and shake to mix.

I wet my head with hot water and then squirted on the mixture.  I left it on while showering and then rinsed it with warm water, and let me tell you...I can't even believe how much smoother and softer my hair is!!!!  It was like a hair miracle!

If you know me or are my FB friend you know that I almost NEVER wear my hair down because of the frizz factor, but now I just might!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...