Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Long time...no see...

So, yes, it has been a long time since I posted anything on this little blog o' mine.  A lot has been happening... let me explain a bit.

First of all, although I consider myself an artist and jeweler first and foremost, for the last year I was working as a dental lab technician in an orthodontic lab.  It was a really great job.  I got to use many of the same skills I use as a jeweler.  I made retainers, study models, as well and many other types of dental appliances.  It was really fun and I felt like I was doing something great by helping dentists help patients, plus I was really good at it.  Well, about a month ago I learned that the company was being mis-managed and as bad luck would have it now the lab has been completely shut down.  It was a very successful business, but one bad apple spoiled the bunch and the business just couldn't recover.

Study Model...one of the fun things I got to make at the dental lab.

Skip to present day... I am left with 2 kids in daycare and no job.  At least no job that gives me a steady paycheck on a weekly basis.  I could find another lab job, but not close to home and a long commute is out of the question since K already has an 1 1/2 drive each way!  Ugh!  Needless to say I have been spending a lot of time in the studio. For the first time since graduate school at RISD, I have actually had time be in the studio uninterrupted.  I think every art school student takes for granted the community aspect of art school.  It is something we all surely realize one we are sitting in our studio, alone, remarking to ourselves just how quiet it is.  So, I am trying to get myself back in art school -  creative problem solving - design machine - mode.  All without pressuring myself to make $dinero$.  Let me tell you friends, it is pretty darn hard!  But I'm not giving up.

Some of the things on my workbench.

With all that said, I am planning some great things for the future.  I am doing a whole bunch of new work.  There will be one-of-a-kind jewelry, production jewelry, painting, commissions, and repairs.  I will also be teaching at a local college this summer and I plan to teach some classes out of my studio as well (something I have been wanting to do since undergrad.)  I also plan to post more on this here blog.  So stay tuned and thanks for hangin' around.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...