Thursday, February 19, 2015

Easy Homemade Lip Balm



We have been having such a cold winter around here that we've been going through a lot of this stuff. So, I thought I would share the recipe for my Homemade Coconut Oil Almond Lip Balm.  It's really easy to make and makes a great small gift for friends and teachers.


Here's what you need:

4 tablespoons of beeswax - grated (you can find it in the candle making section of most craft stores)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (available at the super market)
5 drops of essential oil (I like to use almond - but others would be fine too).
2 teaspoons honey
containers or tubes to put the balm in. (I ordered tubes here.)



My 6 year old helped grate the beeswax.
grated beeswax

Before you start: prepare your containers by setting them upright if you are using tubes like I did, or put them on a tray that will make them easy to move out of the way while cooling.

I set my tubes up in a silicone ice cube tray.

First: create a double boiler by adding a few cups of water to a sauce pan and place the grated beeswax and coconut oil into another container (a glass measuring cup works well because the spout makes pouring easier when you get to that step).  Melt the beeswax and coconut oil over medium heat stirring often.






Second: remove the melted mixture from the heat and immediately add the honey and almond oil and stir until everything is mixed and dissolved.


Honey added.  It must dissolve fully or the balm won't solidify.



Next: pour hot mixture into prepared containers and leave untouched until they cool completely.





I added printed labels with ingredients listed to the tubes and that's it... Done, and ready to use!  And let me tell you, this stuff is great.  Tastes yummy, but not candy sweet and does a wonderful job moisturizing dry chapped winter lips.  I hope you like it!




*I had to scrape some of my tubes with a knife once they were cool because some of them overflowed when I was pouring.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...