Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Homemade cleaning solutions.....

About  year and a half ago I quit buying cleaning products and I searched online for some recipes to make my own.  I thought I would share some with you.  I have saved tons of money and I like that the stuff I am making is safer to use around dogs and kids.  After all, I don't really think clean smells like "pine forest" or "fresh lemon scent" or "spring rain" ... clean just smells like no scent at all.  Recipes below.



SUPER SHOWER CLEANER
(works so well I couldn't believe it when I first tried this...now I will never use anything else.  Found this one via Pinterest).

1 c. Blue Dawn dishsoap
1 c. HOT white vinegar (heated to almost boiling in the microwave, about 1.5 min)

Pour dawn into a clean empty spray bottle and add heated vinegar.  Spray on shower/tub and leave for 15 minutes.  Wipe gently and rinse with warm water.  It will make the shower sparkle!


ALL PURPOSE SPRAY CLEANER
1 c. white vinegar
1 c. water

Mix together in a clean/empty spray bottle.  Spray on and wipe clean.  Great for the countertops and highchair, etc.  Smells like vinegar (of course) but the smell disappears as soon as it dries.


STRONG ALL PURPOSE CLEANER
1 tbsp. clear, non-sudsing ammonia (available at the grocery or hardware store, one bottle has lasted me over 2 years and it still has a lot in it).
1 tbsp. dye free (clear) laundry detergent (I use Seventh Generation, because I also use it for the laundry).
2 cups water

Mix all 3 ingredients in clean/empty spray bottle.  Spray on soiled surfaces and wipe clean.  I use this one on the stove and bathroom sink and when the counters, etc are really dirty.


GLASS CLEANER
1 c. isopropyl alchohol (rubbing alchohol)
1 c. water
1 tbsp. clear non-sudsing ammonia

Mix in clean/empty spray bottle.  Spray windows and wipe off with newspaper (or paper towels, however, I think newspaper works even better and it saves $).


KITCHEN SINK CLEANER 
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. bleach

Make a paste and apply to sink. Let sit 10 minutes and rub gently with sponge.  Rinse clean with warm water.  The baking soda is abrasive but won't scratch and the bleach disinfects.  This makes our white porcelain sink sparkle, which is great since it gets pretty dirty and stained.  This is the only time I really use bleach around the house, except for the occasional load of laundry.

*Update - I no longer use bleach to clean my kitchen sink.  See my new method here.

FURNITURE POLISH
1 c. olive oil
1/2 c. lemon juice

Shake well and apply a small amount to a clean rag.  Spread evenly over furniture surface.  Flip cloth over to dry side and polish dry.


Try these recipes out and let me know what you think!  They work great and save money.  Plus, you will feel like you are in Chemistry class again!

2 comments:

  1. If I'm in chemistry class again, do I get to make moles? :)


    Great tips, Jen. I am definitely going to give the shower cleaner a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blue magic....if only you could spray it on piles of dirty laundry and the would magically clean themselves!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...