Monday, March 26, 2012

Our kitchen...

We really love most everything about our kitchen.  After gutting and completely renovating the kitchen in our previous house, while searching for this house we decided we wanted a kitchen with a layout we really liked.  We really haven't done much to our kitchen since we moved in.  It has a very open, country style which we think is pretty nice for an old farmhouse.

The previous owner must have had an abundance of rough cut/weathered wood to use in our house, because they used it everywhere.  I think it really adds some rustic character.  I store cookbooks and kitchen linens in the cupboard with the windows.

When we first saw our kitchen I couldn't imagine not having any upper cabinets, but when I saw this pantry I was convinced!  I love having a pantry because everything is all in one place, and I can see what I need in a quick glance.  It also allows us to keep a good stock of dry and canned food so we don't need to grocery shop as much.
This is the dining area in our kitchen which opens up into our sitting room.  The red door is the entrance from our mudroom.  Above the dining area is a loft where I hang some quilts from my collection.

The doors in this photo hide our laundry center.  Above them is a large shelf where we show off interesting objects from our collection, including a metal milk can that my 91 year old aunt used to carry milk when she was a child.  
We attached old wooden cheese and fruit storage crates to the wall to hold our bills and other mail.  They also serve as a shelf for my dog figurine collection. (Yes, we have a lot of collections).
An old ladder holds our pots and pans and keeps them in easy reach.

This old store cash register holds pens, pencils and note paper.


 We really like the "lived in" feel of our kitchen and we spend a lot of time here creating memories and good food!





2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous kitchen! Magazine worthy. Personally, I love the ladder for hanging pots. Did you do that or did the house come with that? It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon - I wish I could claim it, but the pot rack ladder was already here. Thanks for your comments and for checking out my blog! I am new to this, but it is really fun to share with friends and family who aren't close by.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...