Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blue doors...

When we moved in, I was loving the brick red accents in the house.  Three years later, I am getting sick of red. The walls in our family room area and up our staircase are a light yellowish-off white and since the staircase has very high walls and ceilings, painting it would be really difficult right now.  So, I decided to switch things up and paint just the doors and the space below the railing.  These photos show the before and after results.  What do you think?
This is a photo of the bottom of our stairs before (taken when we looked at the house).

This picture shows the area under the staircase, where the previous owners kept their computer work area.

Bottom of our stairs after.  This is the way it looked today.  I really wanted "ink" blue doors.  This color is called Blue Coal from Valspar at Lowes.

When we built our master bedroom addition (the large door on the left) we decided to take advantage of the extra space under the stairs and build an extra closet.  K built it in one afternoon the day before the drywall guy came.  I also recently changed the painting just beneath the staircase railing.  It was nice before, but I really wanted something a little less "flowery" and more colorful.  It took me an entire Sunday to complete, and I used every left over paint color from every room we have ever painted (we have painted a lot of rooms!)

Another view of our blue doors and the closet under the stairs.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Did you use pencil then freehand paint or did you tape off or another technique?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- it looks fabulous! I love that inky blue color. And hooray for starting a blog, lady! Looking forward to reading more! xo, Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I used a pattern that I made for the triangle painting. I measured everything out and then filled in the colors free hand.

    Abbey - I have been wanting to start a blog for years now! I wanted something to serve as a record of what we are doing to the house and what we are interested in. I was definitely inspired by your blog, but I am sure mine will pale in comparison! Thanks for checking it out. I will be posting photos from my studio soon (it was a total gut and redo).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...